Last week I left you wondering what in the world I made to go with my Cranberry Chicken! Well, here it is...Sweet Potato Pear Bake...Yummy! This highly nutritious side dish actually works well as the main course, but I like to keep the hubby happy with meat dishes once in awhile. :)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pear halves
- 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 6 tablespoons whole berry cranberry sauce
- Drain pears, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, 3 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg and reserved pear juice. beat until combined. Spoon into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Arrange pear halves onto top, cut side up.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, orange peel and remaining butter. Cook until heated through. Drizzle half over pears. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining honey mixture. bake 15 minutes longer. Fill pear halves with cranberry sauce.