Monday, July 11, 2011

TruthQuest History: American History For Young Students 1, by Michelle Miller

TruthQuest History: American History For Young Students 1, by Michelle Miller has one of the most ingenious approaches to teaching history.  The student is not bombarded with facts and dates, rather this approach makes history come alive where the student will want to eat, sleep, and dream about history.  This award winning curriculum is perfect for any parent who wants to home educate but believes that teaching history is a bit of a daunting task.



My Thoughts

From the moment the package arrived in the mail, I knew I was holding something very special in my hands.  I love the look of this spiral bound blessing and the content did not let me down either!  The concept is to have your children read about history in a non-threatening way.  When I say non-threatening, I mean they are not reading to memorize facts and dates, but rather to enjoy what was happening.  There are questions to be answered and this can be done written or orally depending upon your method of teaching.  All in all it is a very relaxed approach to learning history, one which I agree with as I learned more about history from historical novels than I did from dry old textbooks.

As I have sat and combed through the material, there are lists of books that have been recommended for each chapter.  Some I have found and are available to us either through the library, online, eBooks, and some we even have on our bookshelves already!  The format is very easy to follow and it is very self-paced.  I am so excited to try this with the boys this year.  They are so excited for the explorers and Daniel Boone and of course the Founders and the Revolutionary War (they are little men, what can I say)!


The best part of this whole concept is the ability to teach how G-d has had His hand on the shaping of History from the very beginning to our present day.  I find this so refreshing to be able to see history and teach history through the lens of a Biblical Worldview.

Overall, I will say that I am very impressed with this curriculum!  Michelle Miller did an amazing job in creating this concept and taking the time to write it all down.  I very highly recommend this work to all who are looking for a better approach to teaching history.


I want to say thank you to the staff at TruthQuest History for generously sending me this product to review!  I was not required to write a positive review, but with what I have found I cannot help but say I have no negative thoughts towards this product whatsoever!