- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (or green bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper Change Measurements: US | Metric
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1/2 day
- 1 Heal the oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in the onion and bell pepper; cover, and cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- 2 Add in chili powder, stirring to coat.
- 3 Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; add in the lentils, tomatoes, water, tamari, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- 4 Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 5 Serve sloppy-joe style on warmed buns.
Recipe is from: Food.com